Book: Performing Revolutionary
Performing Revolutionary: Art, Action, Activism
Do you want to help create a more loving, just, and humane world?
The book Performing Revolutionary: Art, Action, Activism invites artists, activists, and everyone else to learn about public actions and ceremonies for building the revolutionary skills we need now. It is part utopian instruction manual, part artistic memoir, and part love letter to the sacred work of making radical change. Written by Nicole Garneau and edited by Anne Cushwa, the book features essays by Nicole Coffineau, Anne Cushwa, and Daniel Tucker, as well as photographs by Tara Malik, Ruth Robbins, and many others. On sale now from Intellect Books.
Art-Action-Activism Workshops, Residencies, Performances, & Book Events
What Art-Action-Activism workshops and UPRISING performances do for you, your group, your campus, and your community:
- Animate Your Activism: Bring your issues and practice revolutionary strategies together. Get a bold infusion of creativity into your social justice work!
- Build Community: Enliven a particular time, place, or space by creating performance actions that teach Revolutionary history.
- Make performances and live art in public, with people. Practice strategies for engaging political content and reclaiming public space for art.
- Make Sacred Space for Justice: Non-religious ceremonies and rituals that knit communities together and create heart-centered activist spaces. Great for opening or closing events!
- Engage Youth through creative activism centered on issues and methods that are relevant to them
UPRISING performances are collaboratively-created "public demonstrations of revolutionary practices." They bring people together in participatory actions that reclaim public spaces, engage compassionately, speak bravely and honestly, and activate bodies in the world.
Art-Action-Activism Workshops & Teaching Residencies
Art-Action-Activism Workshops and Teaching Residencies are customized for a few hours or a full semester. All workshops are based on Revolutionary Strategies outlined in the book Performing Revolutionary: Art, Action, Activism by Nicole Garneau.
Nicole Garneau will be creating an UPRISING performance and discussing her new book at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago on Tuesday, April 3, 2018, 6-8pm.
All Performing Revolutionary: Art, Action, Activism events include opportunities for public engagement and lively discussion tailored to the space and the audience. Dance party optional!